Google +1

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Remembering What Really Matters




I have always loved this quote. In fewer than 50 words, it causes me to stop and think about what truly is important in life. It calls on me to be a better steward of this earth, and to be a stronger voice for the voiceless. It reminds me to focus on the important things in life, not the material trappings of our society. A hundred years, or 50 years, from now, no one will have the slightest idea of what kind of house I lived in or what kind of car I drove. Nor will they care.

My daughter shares my love of animals, and she volunteered many hours at a local animal shelter before school and a part-time job consumed her life. Perhaps, if I am lucky, my descendants will understand that I cared deeply about the animals both domestic and wild that share this world with us. Maybe they will look back on photographs of my animals, and of the wolves I cherish, and know that their ancestor in the early 21st century cared more about other creatures than about a house or car.

No comments:

Post a Comment