Google +1

Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Winter Walk

When I got up this morning, the wind was howling and I quickly determined that I would not be going outside at all. I told my dogs there would likely not be a walk for them today. But after I got back from some errands, the winds had died down a bit, so we went for our usual 1-mile walk.

After lunch, I was faced with two choices for my exercise, neither particularly pleasant. I could brave the wind and exercise outside, or I could walk on my treadmill in the garage while staring at the inside of the garage door. After seeing some interesting cloud formations over the mountains, I grabbed my camera and headed out. I figured if it was too bad, I could come home after a mile and finish on the treadmill.

The New Mexico skies didn't disappoint. I got to photograph fascinating cloud formations, fallen fences and a tumbleweed barreling down a bone-dry flood control channel. The winds, while strong, weren't too bad. I rather enjoyed my walk despite the less than ideal conditions.

This was another of those days where I was glad I took the chance and ventured outside. I have noticed that as I get older I am becoming more cautious, so it was good to go outside my comfort zone. I don't want to become one of those old folks stuck in her ways and unwilling, or too afraid, to take a chance, even if it's only to brave the weather for a winter walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment