Google +1

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Grateful for Everything

Isn't this a fabulous sentiment, expressed by that lovable loser, Charlie Brown, and his faithful dog Snoopy? Look at the joy on their faces and in their bodies. Pure exhilaration. No worries, no fears, no 'what ifs' -- just gratitude.

I started to wonder whether it is possible to set aside just one day to be grateful for everything and everyone in our lives. I don't think it will be easy. Difficult people, traffic jams, uncooperative 'customer service' representatives and a myriad of other things always seem to spoil an otherwise good day. It is so easy to focus only on the hassles in life and on the things we wish we had, but don't.

So today, I tried to think about everything for which I am grateful as I encountered it. Going for a walk, I appreciated the beautiful blue sky and white clouds, the mild temperature and breeze, and living in a state of wondrous natural beauty. I was grateful to see and hear sandhill cranes foraging in the fields, to hear the honking of geese as they flew overhead, and to have a quiet, traffic-free place in which to exercise. I was grateful for my warm jacket and my reliable car, for my nice house, and for my daughter and dogs awaiting my arrival home. 

Think about the things for which we should be grateful, but that we take for granted: running water (I learned about this a year ago when my water pump died and we had no running water for three days until the pump was replaced), electricity and heat. I am grateful for the food in our house, for my clothing, my wonderful bed and the blankets that keep me warm.

I am grateful that my daughter still lives at home and that we still enjoy spending time together. I am grateful that my dogs are doing well despite the infirmities of age, and that my body continues to serve me well, with only the occasional annoyance of bursitis and arthritis.  I am grateful that my father, at age 87, is still able to live on his own, drive and take care of himself.

During these tough economic times, I appreciate my pension and Social Security income, and the fact that my daughter has a part-time job. I have money enough to get me through the remainder of my life, with some left to my daughter and favorite charities.

I appreciate the opportunity to help others through my volunteer work at a food pantry and with a wolf rescue group. I am grateful for my ability to write, for my college education, for finishing (finally!) my book and for living in a place where I can indulge my passion for photography.

I am grateful to have medical insurance, for my physician and physical therapists, and for the ability to get prescription medications when I need them. I am grateful for our veterinarian, who recently treated Tia and made her feel better.

Today's exercise in gratitude again opened my eyes to the blessings I have and gave me a sense of calm when I started to get irritated about something insignificant. I believe that consciously thinking about gratitude on a regular basis is a good reminder of all the people and things in our lives that give it meaning. I don't have the discipline to do a gratitude list every day, as some people do, but setting aside a day once in a while to focus on gratitude provides a great opportunity to think about our blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment