Google +1

Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Skipping the Christmas Hoopla

Maybe it's a sign of old age. Maybe it's the incessant ads screaming about "the perfect gift." Maybe it's the fact that I have no family with which to celebrate Christmas. Maybe it's the fact that the push to spend, spend, spend now starts in August.

But this year, more than ever, I just don't care about Christmas. As I got older and had more trouble controlling my weight, I greatly reduced the amount of baking I do. Gone are the days when I would bake several kinds of cookies, along with a 3-pound batch of fudge. I stopped sending out Christmas cards a few years ago. I gave away my large artificial tree this year, along with a bunch of lights and ornaments. My family stopped exchanging gifts years ago because everybody has everything they need, and if they want something, they just buy it themselves.

I do enjoy buying special things for others if I find something I know they will like. For example, I mailed a few items (special tea, coffee beans, honey from Quebec) to a friend a couple of weeks ago. The package was stolen from her mailbox by some slimy cretin before she could retrieve it. I'm sure the lowlife thief will really enjoy some English tea!

I doubt that I will do any decorating at all. I have some items that I usually set out, but this year I'd bet they will remain in boxes in the garage. Even my 40-50 CDs of Christmas music hold no appeal this year. I know I won't prepare a special meal. Even donating to my favorite charities -- organizations that I have supported for several years and that do wonderful work in their respective areas -- doesn't appeal to me. I have a list of charities to which I want to donate some money, but so far I've given to only one of them. These groups don't demand more and more money as some do, with never-ending appeals for money. And I know the money is well spent. But donating, which used to make me feel good, doesn't hold the same appeal any more. I did donate two bags of food to the local food bank last month, but that's all I have done.

Christmas is more and more just another day. So for this year at least, I think I'll just skip all the hoopla and enjoy a quiet day at home with my dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment