Google +1

Friday, September 21, 2018

Surviving A Stress-Filled World

I have felt unusually stressed lately.

I don't get stressed easily, but things have been piling up lately. Health issues keep me busy with doctor appointments that seem to bring continuing bad news. My house keeps having problems, mostly with the air conditioning system. I have been feeling very alone (not lonely, but alone). 

So in an attempt to regain my typical upbeat nature, I have been looking for things to get the stress under control. I am using several strategies to get myself back to normal.

I listen to classical music on the radio, which avoids most of the noisy, in-your-face commercials common to commercial radio stations.

I limit my time on social media, which these days is filled with anger-inducing stories about the current administration's efforts to further destroy the environment, kill wild animals and foment discord among the citizenry. And my news feed has so many stories of animal abuse that sometimes I just can't handle it. So I step away for a bit.

I read a lot, which is both educational and a wonderful distraction. I continue to walk a minimum of  3 miles every day. I listen to a new CD of song birds singing. And I have been keeping busy with editing the photos I took during a recent trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks. There is nothing like enjoying the beauty of nature to lift my spirits.

I chose 13 images and created a wall calendar for my office. Later, I will create a second calendar with different images of nature for my kitchen. If I can't always be outside enjoying nature, I can at least look at images of some of Mother Nature's creations. Being in nature has been shown to be a mood booster. 

I 'm looking forward to a trip that will combine my two favorite things -- nature and photography -- so that should help greatly with the stress as well. Temperatures are cooling and the leaves are changing colors -- great things for outdoor photography.

A certain amount of stress is good for the body. Too much can harm our minds and our bodies. Now it's time to leash up the dogs and walk away some of my stress!


No comments:

Post a Comment