Google +1

Thursday, August 23, 2018

Change of Season

It's still August, but it definitely feels as if autumn is on the way.

The sun rises later and sets earlier. Early morning temperatures have actually been a bit chilly a few days, until the sun rises above the mountains. Yesterday was cloudy, with a gentle rain falling from time to time, minus the thunder typical of summer rain storms. The angle of the sun is noticeably different. And strangely, I have been feeling like 'nesting' lately. I love sitting in my favorite recliner or in bed, reading one of the more than 200 books on my Kindle.

Soon it will be time for hot soup, baked goods and open windows. During the hot New Mexico summers and cold winters, I keep the windows tightly closed. But for a few wonderful weeks in the spring and fall, I open the windows when I'm home. The house remains at a comfortable temperature without the air conditioner or furnace running.

I have already had the yen to bake some cornbread, or perhaps some pumpkin bread. Both of these are common fall activities. I haven't made any kind of bread yet because I am still enjoying a peach pie made with summer's best fruit from my peach tree. But it won't be long before I will give in to the urge to do some baking.

We don't get the beautiful fall leaves familiar to those who live in much of the country, as our trees are limited to pines, cottonwoods and aspens. While both deciduous trees have beautiful gold leaves, they lack the brilliant reds and oranges of maple trees.  

Another sign of autumn will be the need to add a blanket to my bed, to trade in shorts for capris and short-sleeved shirts for 3/4- or long-sleeved shirts. But that, too, will have to wait until daytime temperatures are lower than the normal mid 80s to 90s.

While I enjoy the transition to fall, I wish the changes would pause right there, without progressing to the dark, cold days of winter. I am miserable in cold weather, and I really dislike the small amount of daylight during the winter months. I love bright sunshine and beautiful blue skies, both of which New Mexico has in abundance. Sitting in the house because it's miserable to be outside, listening to the furnace run non-stop (am I the only person who finds the sounds of the furnace really annoying?) is just too much. 

The only good thing about winter for me is the beautiful sunrises I get to witness as the rising sun lights up the clouds hanging near the mountains.Oh, and the knowledge that warmer weather is on the way.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment