Google +1

Monday, May 28, 2018

The Greatest Sacrifice


Today is a special day in the United States. It's Memorial Day, a day set aside every year to honor and remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice in serving our country.

Please take a moment from your barbeques, beers and family gatherings to remember those who died in service to our country. I have visited the American military cemetery in Normandy, France, and walked among the more than 9,300 graves there. I have seen the wall listing the names of those missing in action on D-Day. I have visited the Vietnam Veterans Memorial (many times) in Washington, D.C., and touched some of the names engraved on its marble. I have visited Arlington National Cemetery and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Washington and watched the honor guards silently pay tribute to the war dead whose remains still have no names.

Although Memorial Day was set aside to honor America's human war dead, I also honor all the animals that died as well. Countless horses, donkeys and dogs contributed to the war effort. And dogs still serve, and die, with our troops in Iraq, Afghanistan and other places.

This morning, as I started my day, I paused while listening to birds singing on the local classical radio station and thanked all those men, women and yes, animals, who died for our country. 

Please remember these warriors who sacrificed everything. 

The D-Day landings took place on the beaches below this cliff.

No comments:

Post a Comment