Google +1

Sunday, November 20, 2016

My Special Place

It's early Sunday morning. I'm sitting at my desk, drinking a cup of hot tea and watching a beautiful sunrise over the mountains. Although it's just 32 degrees outside, and I hate cold weather, I am enjoying the serenity of this early morning.

I love my house, but I think my favorite room of all is my office. Of course, I'm retired, so I don't actually work in my office, but it's where I typically listen to music, watch the goings on in the yard, pay bills, write and work with my digital photographs. My three dogs are always nearby on the floor. Bailey has a spot on one side of a mall table next to a large oak bookcase. Layla prefers the other side, near the half bathroom. Benny likes to be near the French doors. 

The walls of my office are decorated with a variety of photographs and artwork. A have a print of an Ansel Adams photo of Yosemite's Half Dome, a close-up portrait of a Yellowstone wolf with snow on its face, a beaded wall hanging from South Africa, a print from a local Native American artist, and pictures of my previous dogs and my family. And books, lots of books. I have a comfortable library chair and ottoman next to a reading lamp and table that belonged to my parents.

The downside to this room is that since it was built after the original house, it is cold in the winter and hot in the summer. For some reason the heating and cooling don't work very well in this room. A ceiling fan and space heater help, but it isn't as comfortable as the rest of the house.

But this room is my special place, a place of quiet and reflection. I love being able to look out on the large back yard and the mountains in the distance. Sometimes I can see a road runner on the top of the cement wall, or a Coopers hawk in one of the trees. 

I think it's important to have a special place. I also have favorite places outdoors, too, but my office is my special room in the house. Where is your favorite room? The kitchen? The workshop? 

No comments:

Post a Comment