Google +1

Sunday, October 16, 2011

I Give Up

I don't know how much more I can take. I love animals, I have been involved in animal welfare and rescue activities for 40 years, but I have reached the end.

Facebook is filled with stories of animal abuse and death. Dogs and cats left to starve. Dogs forced to fight each other to the death. Horses electrocuted. Animals set on fire or burned with chemicals. Wolves slaughtered simply for being wolves. Millions of dogs and cats killed each year simply because no one wants them.

I don't need to hear about all this suffering and death. I don't need to see the pictures of the horrific sores, the emaciated bodies, the dogs murdered by gun-happy cops. I know all about animal cruelty. I worked for a large humane society in California for 8 years; I photographed cruelty cases for possible prosecution. I can't take it any longer.

There is nothing I can do to stop the abuse and cruelty. I write letters and send e-mails; I boycott the products of states that encourage the slaughter of wolves and of countries where animal abuse is institutionalized. I don't patronize businesses and companies that tacitly endorse animal abuse. But what good does it do?

The abuse doesn't stop; in fact, it seems to be getting worse.

I donate to various animal protection groups; I contribute to the occasional 'chip in' to help fund needed veterinary care for a specific dog in need. But my donations are a mere pittance. Even if I donated every dime I have, it still wouldn't be enough.

So I surrender. The bad guys win. Those who abuse animals and who are punished, if at all, with a small fine or 'community service', win. Countries like China, where animal abuse is institutionalized and unpunished, win. States like Wyoming, Idaho and Montana, with their government-sanctioned efforts to exterminate wolves, win. Companies like Nike and Subway that hire felons and animal abusers to represent them, win.

They all win. They have the money, the power and the influence, so of course they win. They can buy the votes of their elected officials to do their bidding. We, the little people who work tirelessly to help animals, count for nothing because we can't compete where it matters -- the bottom line.

I am blocking or removing organizations that are trying to help animals so I no longer will have to read about endless cruelty and slaughter when I visit my Facebook page. I just can't take it any longer.

So congratulations, members of Congress, state legislators, governors, corporations. You win. I give up. My boycotts and letters mean nothing. You have been bought by the highest bidders. I hope you are proud of yourselves.

By the way, karma knows who you are. Maybe I and others like me can't change things. But karma will get you in the end. Enjoy your victory.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Ann,
    It was as if you were reading my mind. My heart dies a little day with each new post on Facebook re an abused animal. I also watch for the day's post from "The Cove" in Taiji, Japan. Is it good news, or is it very bad news.
    I have little to offer in the way of comfort, but I do think all of us who care ARE making a difference...one by one. I have to...or my heart would surely break into a thousand pieces.
    Sending you a big, virtual hug. Kim

    ReplyDelete